Monday, October 17, 2005

hobby hell


I haven't found time to work on any projects recently. The only 'fix' I get is at work when I run my craft group for adults with mental illnesses. I love my job in that I get to be creative and try a lot of art projects (without spending my own money), but even those opportunities have gotten fewer and farther in between. There has been too much 'real' work that is squeezing out my discretionary time. I need to do something about that.

This past week, when I'm home, I'm either covered in kids or too zoned out to function past survival mode. I think part of it is the changing of seasons. Part of it is just mental exhaustion. I'm overdue for a real vacation... I think a month or two in Puerto Rico would fix me up...

You know, over the years, I've dabbled in sooooo many hobbies, that it surprises me when one actually sticks. No one thought I would stay with the crochet. Even though I neglect it for months at a time sometimes, I am always happy to find it again. I think one of the things I love about crochet is that I'm only limited by my own creativity and skill which is built on experience.

As for some hobbies on the back burner:
Sorry banjo. I was overjoyed with you and Dan still owes me 10 lessons to pay off the washer and dryer I gave him. I promise I will dust you off this winter and give Dan a call. Maybe I'll break out some bluegrass today to get me in the right mind-frame.
Sorry novel. I visited my first chapter this week. It is like we barely recognize each other anymore. I have so many stories in my head (at least one for each personality...) but I need to work on my original novel no matter how horrible it turns out.
Good news candle making supplies that I collected for a few years but never used: I'm having a few friends over for a candle making party in two weeks!
Oh my beloved hiking boots. You know you were more than a fleeting fancy. I love the great outdoors and love hiking (and dressing the part). However, with two toddlers (formerly two babies), I've felt somewhat homebound during my free time. However, I'm feeling the effects of being sedentary for TOOOOOOOO long and am in the process of making a plan to get out of this rut. I promise we still have a bright future together.
Oh dreams of woodworking... at least I didn't buy the equipment before flaking out...

Damn. I think it is time to win the lottery. I would be very happy to be a full-time hobbyist. Maybe instead of writing a novel, I should write the novel so that I can focus on fun (and buy more yarn).

THE GOOD NEWS: MY BARTLETT YARN IS FINALLY IN SO THAT I CAN FINISH ELISE'S PONCHO!!!!!!

No comments: