Saturday, September 10, 2005

Red Cross Training

A few days ago, I received an email from our Center's 'Emergency Services' manager pleading for volunteers to train for Red Cross Disaster Relief certification. I felt it was the perfect way to feel productive in helping with the Katrina disaster. I completed the first day today and then tomorrow I'm going to learn about setting up and running an emergency shelter; Sunday I'm spending the day learning about RC family services.
Next week we are actually expecting around 60 evacuees to set up in a shelter on Indiana University Campus. The Red Cross retrofitted a dormitory that the University was gutting for updates. I also signed up to be a member of a disaster alert team locally. This way I can assist with helping victims and workers involved in local 'after hours' disasters such as fires.
I feel really good about the decision to get involved with the Red Cross. It seems like a good match with the skills and experience I have gained at my job in mental health.
Anyway, it will probably be next week before an update (or a chance to think about hobbies....)

Hope everyone is safe and well.

1 comment:

~drew emborsky~ said...

Welcome to the crochet dudes webring! I'm happy that you have joined dude!