Tuesday, September 06, 2005

giant puffballs


We all decided to spend the afternoon at a nearby park yesterday. As we were leaving, something caught my eye out in the grass. I was excited to find a group of giant puffball mushrooms. I ended up with a plastic grocery bag full!
This morning, I washed a couple of the fungi, sliced them, peeled them, seasoned them and then browned them in olive oil and butter. These large slices were about the consistency of fried tofu, and DELICIOUS! I ended up sharing the rest with a guy I used to work with. We both have spent many tireless hours in search of the perfect edible mushrooms in this area. We often wondered why we had never found the giant puffballs since they are a pretty common mushroom.

Nick is an amazing cook, so I'm sure he makes something special with his.

No comments: