Thursday, March 15, 2007

The wheel of time keeps rolling on...

Time seems to mean less and less as I get older. Especially since children came into our lives, everything has started to blur a bit. But a lot has happened. Our past shapes who we are and dictates certain elements about our future.... A look back:

2006: Last year, at this time, I was brand new to New Zealand, my head reeling with all that I had to learn while apart from my wife and children. Seeming like an eternity before they would get here to join me. Then when they were packing their last bag to join me, losing a good friend to a senseless act of violence.

2005: After a two year battle, we were finally able to legally adopt our oldest two children. After everything we had been through, it seemed like a non-event once the papers were all quietly signed. This was also the year that my last grandparent passed on.

2004: Mason was born! What else can I say. With two babies and a VERY active 5 year old, we are STILL trying to make up for the sleep loss from this year!

2003: We became foster parents. The same week that our two children came to us that we would later adopt, we found out my wife was pregnant. (This was also the year that we visited beautiful Puerto Rico!!! - life BEFORE kids ;) )

2002: I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer. One of the last things she said to me was that she KNEW we would have children in our lives. She seemed so sad when she said it. I really wish she could see us all now.

2001: 9/11 kind of overshadowed everything else

2000: I graduated with my M.S. and we moved to Indiana

1999: I graduated with my B.S. (after years of trying more degrees and schools than you can imagine...)

1992: Just married!

1989: Graduated from H.S. and moved to Tallahassee


Just a snapshot of history. So where to now?... That will be in my next post...

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Very interesting and creatively done post, Steve. It's full of mixed emotions, isn't it? Reading it (for the second time, too) I could actually feel your joys and sadness throughout the years. It has made me think so much about the last several years of my own life.


I'm so happy for you for all your happy times - school, degrees, wedding/marriage, your children and careers. And so sad for you for the losses of your loved ones. You know I know how difficult it is to lose someone you love.

Wonderful post.

Stephen said...

Thanks, Jaye! This life we live is one big rollercoaster, so HANG ON TIGHT! :)