Saturday, October 14, 2006

yin and yang

Top five things I love and, well, don't, about NZ:

Five good things:
1) There are only around 4 million people in the entire country, and 3/4 are on the smaller, north island
2) The scenery is breathtaking
3) Within 30-45 minutes in any direction, we can go on a pretty cool trip; within 2-4 hours, we can go on a REALLY cool road trip
4) The abundance of local parks
5) Seals, sea lions, penguins, etc.
...oh yeah, and how could I forget... W. doesn't run this country!

Before I go into the next list, let me say that some of these things apply to the area that we live in, rather than the entire country...

Five "other" things:
1) The tertiary education system is audited to death and more laden with paperwork than I could have ever dreamed...
2) The medical system
3) The sucky local grocery stores
4) The price of most everything
5) The lack of adequate heating in most houses (yes, I'm a spoiled American...)

I had to post, because we finally broke down and got a computer and broadband internet. This is the first laptop I've ever owned, and I'm quite happy with it so far.

4 comments:

Crafty Andy said...

Welcome back I missed you

LadyLinoleum said...

I absolutely loved NZ. Though from what I saw, no one has a clothes dryer. Washers yes. No dryers though. Maybe that is just a N. island thing? I dunno.

Stephen said...

Howdy yáll (or Kia Ora as they say in these parts...)

Clotheslines are king here, even on the South island where it rains every twenty minutes or so... ;) Kiwis are VERY energy conscious.

Glad you had a nice visit Regina!

~drew emborsky~ said...

Nice to see you back! There are a few things on your list that I envy!! ;)